Crypto lending is gradually taking over the loan industry. This is probably due to its fewer requirements, fast approvals, and flexible repayment plans for loans facilitated by crypto loan apps.
Unlike traditional banking, most cryptocurrency platforms can avail loans on stable coins or fiat money to borrowers within 24 hours. The interest on the loans usually is low and doesn’t have a minimum monthly payment obligation.
What matters most is whether the borrower can repay the principal and the interest within the stipulated period. While the platforms incentivize the lenders to continue investing, they also encourage the debtors to borrow more given the flexible payment options.
However, like any other virtual investment, transacting in crypto is always risky, and the level of risk differs from one app to another.
The two broad crypto loan categories include:
Types of Crypto Loans
Crypto loans with collateral
Crypto loans with collateral are crypto loans that require the borrowers to place an asset to act
as a guarantee that they will repay the loan. The type of security assets depends on the
borrower’s app and is returned to them after they have repaid the crypto loan in full. In the event
of failure, the pledged asset will be disposed of to cover part of the loan.
Crypto loans without collateral
Crypto loans without collateral are the type of crypto loans that do not need any security
backing. However, the lenders tend to charge high-interest rates on loans to cater to defaulted
loans. In some instances, the lender may also recover defaulted loans through a legal process if
their agreement with the borrower provides such provisions.
Here is a list of the 5 best crypto loan apps:
YouHodler is one of the advanced cryptocurrency platforms where you can borrow with collateral or earn passive income on your crypto holdings. The app users accredit it for its fast processing speeds regarding registration and execution of crypto transactions.
Other notable perks of the YouHodler include:
- Reliable Asset security: YouHodler keeps all your digital assets in separate wallets hence ensuring their safety.
- Access to crypto credit lines: you can use the credit lines to get loans on fiats like USD, CHF, EUR, GB, or stable coins using crypto as collateral.
- A demo feature for cryptocurrency: To allow you experiment with different cryptocurrencies before selecting that you most prefer.
- Support for stable coins and other digital assets: You can use the platform to save, invest or borrow crypto loans on all cryptocurrencies, including BTC, XRP, ETH, XLM, PAX, BNB, LTC, USDC, PAXG, BSV, EOS, REP, DASH, REP, BAT, DAI, USDT, HT, TUSD. Also, the traditional CHF, USD, GBP, and EUR are no exception.
- Healthy interest on savings: YouHodler provides up to 12% interest per annum on all cryptocurrencies.
- Low interest on loans: You can borrow BTC at crypto loan rates of 4.8%, ETH at 4.5%, and 12% for USDT, PAX, and USDC. However, the interest on loans is compounded weekly.
- It supports almost all currencies.
- Has fast processing speed
- The app is unavailable in some countries, like US.
- It does not work with Android devices below the 5.0 version.
Hodlnaut is another crypto lending app. Like Blockfi, it is one of the apps offering the best crypto backed loans. The main reason behind its introduction by Juntao Zhu and Simon lee was to safely help Hodlers sail through and make profits in the cryptocurrency market.
The developers went an extra mile by partnering with BitGo security to ensure Hodlers’ assets’ safety. It’s features include:
- One year duration for a loan: meaning you can spread your loan repayments throughout the year.
- No minimum deposit restrictions
- Support five cryptocurrencies: Meaning you can invest in the five cryptocurrencies, including USDC, USDT, BTC, ETH, and DAI when using the Hodlnaut app.
- Compatibility with mobile devices: The app is mobile-friendly, meaning you can access its applications using any smart device
- Unique calculator: It can help you maintain accuracy in calculating interest on loans or deposits.
- Fair crypto loan rates: The app charges 6.2 to lend bitcoin, 6.75% for ETH, and 8.3% for USDT, USDC, and DAI. Also, the app deposits Hodler’s earnings on their respective crypto bank accounts weekly.
- No restrictions regarding the apps use: Lenders can deposit or withdraw at any time.
- The assets are highly secured.
- No deposit restrictions
- It supports only five cryptocurrencies hence not suitable for big players in the market.
Join Hodlnaut using my referral code 2BmKyAcIC and earn USD20 equivalent after making a deposit equivalent of US$1,000 or more in a single transaction on any supported assets.
Nexo is a major cryptocurrency lending app in Europe. Its popularity among cryptocurrency investors and borrowers in Europe is because the app is fully insured against any losses. As such, it exposes them to fewer risks.
Additionally, the app offers its users a crypto banking card, increasing their convenience in cryptocurrency transactions. Its other features include:
- Daily interest payments: You can get daily interest payments on your traditional currencies like USD, GBP, and EUR and on their cryptocurrency assets
- One year duration for a loan: you can spread the loan repayment throughout the year.
- Rate free usage of the platform: meaning anyone can use the app.
- Support for multiple assets: You can transact in any of the assets, including ETH, LTC, BTC, XRP, and traditional coins
- A Loan restriction: You can’t take a loan below $ 500 or beyond $ 2 million.
- Unmatched security for assets: Besides partnering with BitGo security, Nexo has insured its users’ assets with Lloyds insurance excellent asset security.
- Top security for user’s assets given the double security
- No limits for deposit
- Better customer experience
- The loan restrictions do not favor small institutions.
Blockfi is among the fast-developing crypto lending platforms in 2021. It issues crypto loans with collateral.
Since its formation by Zac Prince and Flori Marquez in 2017, the app has raised approximately $ 50 million from different firms. It is one of the most experienced cryptocurrency lending apps in today’s market. Its features include:
- Monthly compound interest on deposits: Your monthly interest will be compounded on your initial deposit.
- Support for different cryptocurrencies: You can diversify your portfolio by saving or lending different cryptocurrencies, including ETH, GUSD, LTC, BTC, and USDC.
- One year duration cryptocurrency loan: you can repay the loan in a year.
- A Flexible withdrawal plan for lenders: You can withdraw your cryptos anytime you wish. However, you will have to pay a 0.0025 BTC charge for all withdrawal transactions except the first one. This is an addition to the standing charges charged for using the app.
- No minimum deposit restrictions
- Unmatched security for assets: Gemini – a tried and tested security solution for crypto secures the users’ assets against any risk.
Blockfi crypto loan rates
The app charges 6% interest to lend bitcoins below 5 BTC and 3.2% to lend bitcoin exceeding 5BTC. The rates for other cryptocurrencies include 5% for LTC, 5.25% for ETH, 7% for USDT and 8.6% for GUSD, USDC and PAX.
You must give out cryptocurrency as collateral to be given loans. And, the amount of collateral determines your loan limit.
- The compound interest rate on savings
- High asset security
- Supports various cryptocurrencies
- Interest rate volatility
Celsius Network is another cryptocurrency lending app that has grown drastically. After its inception by Alex Mashinsky in 2018, the app attracted more than 50,000 members in 2020, coupled with an unmatched rise in stock. The app involves:
- 6 to 12 months duration for loans
- No withdrawal restrictions for lenders
- Support for more than 20 cryptocurrencies, including BTC, LTC, PAX, GUSD, XLM, etc.
- Weekly interest payments to lenders
- Free usage of the platform
- The interest rate for all assets varies from 4.95% to 10%
- Supports multiple cryptocurrencies (up to 20)
- No deposit restrictions
- The platform usage is free of charge.
- The app is not compatible with all smart devices.
Investing in cryptocurrency can be very risky. That’s why it’s almost impossible to find a platform offering crypto loans without collateral. However, the crypto lending apps allow investors to create passive income with minimal risks.
If you think of investing in cryptocurrency and are looking for the best lending platform, the apps discussed above are worth your consideration.